In a health and economic crisis such as the one brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, and governments’ responses to it, the MEI has a crucial role to play. It is our job to examine the unintended consequences for individuals and businesses of various laws and rules, in contrast with their stated goals. It is also part of our mandate to shine a light on the fiscal policies of governments and to study their effect on economic growth and our standard of living.
Here is a list of the content put out by the MEI since the beginning of the crisis.
JULY 9, 2020
COVID-19: We now know the recipe for success
JULY 8, 2020
Overdoses have exploded under lockdowns
JUNE 30, 2020
VIEWPOINT: Ending the Lockdown Depression
- Related press release: How much have lockdowns cost us?
- Related interview: Can we determine how much the lockdown cost us?
JUNE 29, 2020
VIDEO: Are Severe Lockdowns Really Effective?
- Related press release: Do severe lockdowns have an impact on the death toll of COVID-19?
- Related interview: Les confinements sévères sont-ils vraiment efficaces?
JUNE 19, 2020
La « science », le mot magique des politiciens
- Related press release: The government must encourage the preservation of employment links
- Related press release: The flawed model that locked down Canada
- Related articles: What Would an “Intelligent Lockdown” Look Like in Canada?
- In 2019, the World Health Organization Argued Against Lockdowns
- COVID-19 – Il faudra trouver un juste milieu
- The Flawed Prediction That Locked Down Canada
- Related interviews & report: Réflexion sur la COVID-19
- Le confinement remis en question par l’IEDM
- Le confinement du Québec était-il trop drastique?
- Montreal think tank says COVID-19 projections were exaggerated
- Remise en question du confinement!
- Une étude remet en question le bien-fondé du confinement
- Le modèle qui a justifié le confinement est erroné
- Avait-on raison de nous confiner autant?
- Related article: What lower COVID mortality rates mean for policy
- Related interviews: Le taux de mortalité du coronavirus serait de. 0.3%
- La COVID-19 n’est peut-être pas aussi mortelle qu’on ne le croit
- Related press release: Are we overestimating how many Canadians are dying of COVID-19?
- Related interview: Are we overestimating how many Canadians are dying of COVID-19?
MAY 14, 2020
The Case for Widespread Mask Use
- Related interview: La réouverture de l’économie
APRIL 28, 2020
COVID-19: Nine measures to keep workers safer at work
- Related press release: Coming to the aid of restaurateurs
- Related article: Des solutions pour aider les restaurateurs
- Related report: Could selling wine be the answer to Montreal restaurants’ woes?
APRIL 7, 2020
VIEWPOINT: The Lessons to Be Learned from Past Pandemics
- Related press release: The lessons to be drawn from past pandemics
- Related article: Another very important lesson from the Spanish Influenza
- Related interviews: Les leçons à tirer des pandémies antérieures
Les conséquences économiques de la pandémie mondiale